Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Homemade Beef Summer Sausage (In winter lol)

I have been wanting to post this post for a long time, but I got busy with the holidays..... Anyways, this morning I woke up feeling very well rested so I made supper, did the dishes, and folded laundry, all before 7:30! (I had to make supper this morning, because I work till 6 tonight) Then I decided to post this :)

For Christmas this year, I made summer sausage for my siblings, instead of buying expensive Hickory Farms Stuff! The recipe calls for venison, but I didn't have any at that moment, so I used beef from my huge ground beef collection. This is a SUPER easy recipe, everyone should try it at least once!!
Yummmm.... (this is the finished product)
 First you will need to thaw out 4 lbs. of ground beef, I put mine in the bowl open end up so meat juice didn't spill into my refrigerator.
 You will need to mix up the 4 lbs of beef and 1/4 cup of tender quick (it is a meat curing salt, fount at most grocery stores, except the Fred Meyers in Portland!!!)
 Mix, mix, mix......Then cover it up and put it in the refrigerator over night.
 On the next day, you will only need 5 things...... A stove, a broiling pan, pepper, liquid smoke, and garlic powder. O you will also need 4 hours to be at home :)
 Mix 2 teaspoons of the pepper, 2 teaspoons of the garlic powder, and 2 Tablespoons of liquid smoke, then mix, mix, mix again, and roll into logs. When you get the sausage out of the oven, pat them down with paper towels to soak up the very little grease from the logs. (You can do this right away, the logs are not that hot when you pull them out of the oven)

Cook the summer sausage at 225 degrees for 4 hours WARNING: It will make your house smell like liquid smoke (I kind of like it :)......)



I just HAD to post a picture of the sunrise this morning, it was GORGEOUS!!!



3 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to make it, now I don't have to go looking for it I have the recipe right handy! Thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very yummy! And WOW! That sunrise!!! Beautiful isn't a strong enough word!

    ReplyDelete