Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bill's Pecan Pie

Before I start talking about the pie, I have to share about my dog, Brody. This picture below describes Brody, and the neighbor's dog, Roxy.
Brody is the grey Aussie looking dog (he is half aussie half heeler) on the right, and Roxy is the black spot in the grass to the left of the tires. Her owners dont like her coming over here, and Brody tends to like to stay around our house (Sometimes he will wander over there if we are gone) I can just imagine what they are both thinking...."Man I wish I could go play. My friend is just right over there, maybe they will come over here if I wait long enough....."

And this is the trouble they get into when they decide to play with each other, digging in the neighbors fescue field, which is fenced off for sheep that haven't arrived yet. I think I have some training to do, before the sheep arrive. Anyways, Brody is now sitting on my porch looking over to Roxy who is standing across the street in the grass looking at Brody. I wonder what they will do next...Back to the Pie.....

I call this Bill's pecan pie, because I found a recipe somewhere, and I just thought I would make it and try it out, I don't like pecan pie, I don't like pecans, or custardy things, and pecan pie to me, is both. However I made this pie and Bill LOVED IT!!!!! Apparently it is not as sugary as every other pecan pie he has tasted, and I found out that he likes the more finely chopped pecans as opposed to pecan halves. So this is my finely chopped, low sugar (for a pecan pie), hubby's favorite pecan pie, but that's too long of a name :) This is the pie I have made the most in my life, and I don't even like it....the things we do for the ones we love..... The cooking utensils and bowls all look really really dirty, because I took pictures of me making the second pie (I made 2)


 Crack 3 eggs into a bowl, and add the molasses, and mix together. HINT: spray your measuring cup with cooking oil to make the molases come out WAY better and faster than if you didn't pray :)
 Melt the butter, then add to the mixture, also add 1 tsp vanilla extract.
 Then add the FINELY CHOPPED PECANS, or however you like it, to the egg mixture :)
 In a seperate bowl mix the flour and crisco together, then when well mixed, add the water, then roll out on a floured surface.
 I wish that I could say that I roll out perfectly round pie crusts, like my husbands Aunt (who is a professional baker) but I cant. They are terribly irregular shaped! When you rolled the crust out, wrap it over the rolling pin, then drape it over the pie plate (This is way easier that trying to life up the crust with your hands and placing over the pie plate.
 I trimmed the edges of the crust to make it more circular, then I pinched them like below, to make the pretty crust!

 I have no idea how to describe it in words how I do it, so the pictures will have to do.....

 All the pecan pie recipes I have looked at say to cover the crust with foil for the first half of baking, and uncover for last half of baking time, but I did that a couple times and I noticed my crusts were really really light and I like them light golden brown, not off white, so this time I used no foil, but I kept checking the crusts to see if they were getting burned, and they weren't, so I baked them all 40 minutes with no foil. If you do the same, check your pies, OFTEN just to be sure :)
 The mess....


 I wish this picture would be turned the right way, but here are my finished pies!!!!

The Recipe makes 1 pie

3 eggs
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp butter
1 t vanilla extract
1 cup finely chopped pecans
 Bake at 350 for 40 minutes

My crust recipe is
1 cup flour
1/3 cup crisco
pinch of salt
1/4 cup cold water


1 comment: