Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cording A Bow, a man and woman's relationship (and work relationships)

So I was reading today and I came across this little poem or saying, or whatever it is.....

Cording A Bow

As unto the bow the cord is
So unto the man is the woman
Though she bends him, she obeys him
Though she draws him, yet she follows
Useless without the other.

So the whole submission thing is hard to explain, I think this saying says it best in short and sweet kind of way.   When you experience the blessing from ultimately doing what your husband thinks is best, this little saying makes perfect sense. I think that men tend to not get as worked up about things as women do (usually) so I think it is a very good idea to take your husbands advice, even if it is hard to do.

 For example, at work I was surprised by a task I was asked to do all day long. Usually it is a job that is split up between employees, but on that particular day I was asked to do it all day long. It's a job I don't mind that much, but all day long can get exhausting, and I was upset that I had to do it all day, and none of the other girls who knew how to do it, were asked to take part in the duties. So all day long I had a bad attitude, and was frustrated! Not a fun day..... Of course I told Leon all about it and I figured he would be on his wonderful hard working wife's side, but he wasn't! Some of the things he said to me (in a loving way) were, " Was it in your job description that you were never supposed to do that task all day long?" "Are you the boss" "Are you being too picky about your job? Some people would love to have your job, and the flexibility you have at work" Leon has had employees who have tried to run things, not do what he asks, and argue, so he could feel for my manager.I was not really happy about his advice, he said that I just need to get a better attitude and do what I am asked to do.

So the next week on the way to work, I was mentally preparing myself to be asked to do that same task all day long, and I just need to get over it and do what the manager asks, and be OK WITH IT! So at work I asked the manager what I was supposed to do today, and she told me, and I asked, "all day" and she said yes. I said OK and I walked away and started doing my duty. The manager came over to me and we talked a little bit about some stuff, she asked me what could be done to help ease my duties and I told her that if she wanted me to do this all day that I was going to do it, because she is the boss, I'm not, and I just need to do what she says. I had told her that I had talked to Leon about it and that it was his advice I am following, and she told me that I would get very far in life with that kind of attitude. I could tell she was very pleased, and I was too, because I was pretty upset with her last time, and now I was happy with her and myself that I now had this positive attitude about doing what I was asked, and that I was now on good terms with her. That was probably the best day ever at work! Even though there were other things at work I would rather be doing all day.

If I wouldn't have taken Leon's advice, I would have been bitter, about everything she would have asked me to do in the future. I would then probably hate work. I know this was a woman to woman encounter, but without listening and actually TAKING my husbands advice, the outcome would have been way different. In the Bible it talks about how the head of woman is man, and that she needs to submit to him (again in a loving way!) I don't recall the Bible talking about submitting to your boss at work (If it does please correct me!) however the same principle applies, at work the manager and boss are in charge and I need to do what they ask because it probably is for the best. Same with at home, and Church, my husband ALWAYS has whats best for me in mind, and I should do what he suggests, because he loves me and cares for me, and would never make or ask me to do something that would end up badly.

Anyways, again I am shown the true blessing to submitting to your husbands will, or being the cord to his bow :)

                                 


1 comment:

  1. Your boss also deserves credit for sensing (without you having said anything) that the task was a burden of sorts. When she asked you what could help ease things, did you have a suggestion then, to give her? (Thus simplifying her task of keeping you happy too:-)

    ReplyDelete