Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Family Tradition....Boiled Raisin Cookies

Every family has their own few meals, or treats that most of the family likes. In my family (The Hess') We have the boiled raisin cookies, chocolate strawberry cake, taco rice skillet, and a personal favorite of mine is beef burgundy! My mother doesn't like the chocolate strawberry cake anymore, because all my siblings, my father and I ask her to make it for all our birthdays almost every year, and she got a little sick of it :) I am going to do the next few posts on some of these Hess family traditional food, so if any of you Hess', or cousins can think of any other Hess type foods let me know and I will cook and post about them!!

Over the last couple of years, someone discovered that the boiled raisin cookie recipe that my great grandmother wrote down was wrong!!We knew there was a correct one somewhere though! I had one in my recipe box, but I wasn't sure if it was the correct one or not, so I looked online over a ton of boiled raisin cookie recipes, and compared them to the recipe I had, for the most part, the ingredients were very similar.  Finally my dad told me that my sister in law made some that were right, so I got the recipe from her and decided to make some for my little family (Hubby and I) Turns out the recipe I had was correct. :)

Boiled Raisin Cookies
1 C sugar
1 C water
1/2 C crisco
2 C raisins
2 eggs
3 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt





First, in a large pot, boil the sugar, water, raisins, and crisco. Boil for 3 minutes. After that, you need to let them cool (this takes a while!!) I pour it into a different bowl to help cool it faster. DON'T DRAIN THE RAISINS!! The next step is to add the eggs,so you NEED TO BE SURE THE RAISIN MIXTURE IS COOL!!!! If you don't, you will have scrambled eggs and raisin water..... so like I said add the eggs to a COOLED raisin mixture (And only add 2 eggs. Since I had looked up a bunch of different raisin cookie recipes, I somehow got confused and put 3 eggs into my batch....O also don't add the eggs to the flour mixture because you are too impatient to wait for the raisin mixture to cool down, like I did, in my second batch.....)
 Next mix the dry ingredients together, in a separate bowl, then add to raisin mixture.





 Plop cookies onto a greased cookie sheet and cook at 350 for 9-12 minutes!



The cookies were a little dry and "cake-y" because of the added egg. For my second batch where I added the eggs to the flour in stead of the liquid, made the cookies lumpy..... Next time they will be 100% perfect :)   I hope.....

No comments:

Post a Comment