Thursday, January 5, 2012

Crochet Away!

The craft for the Girls Club at my church (for young girls, I think 8-14 years old-ish) is to knit a scarf with this pomp-a-doodle yarn. My husbands aunt Carrie is teaching them, and the rest of us helpers are supposed to help the girls with it. I used to knit back in high school, but that was 6 years ago, so I thought I would brush up on my skills. I bought this pink yarn, and Hosltein yarn, as my friend Heidi would call it (Holstein in the breed of dairy cows that are black and white (yes some are red and white) but the majority are black and white) I tied teaching myself again, not using you tube tutorial videos, but I just couldn't quite get it, so I broke down and relearned how to knit online.

 The yarn looks like the pink yarn above, when knitted looks like the scarf below....
 I got all caught up in this knitting, and remembered that I used to crochet a little bit too, so I went back to the fabric store and bought "normal" yarn to try to re teach myself how to crochet, again I had to go to you tube to re learn :( I remembered real quick how to do a single crochet, and I wanted to learn how to do a double crochet (it took a long time to get it down!!!) Below are examples of how my double crocheting went.....the long scarf was my first go. Notice how it gets wide, then narrow, then wide, and sideways..... I like crocheting better than knitting, even though I enjoy both, but I wanted my crocheted scarf to look good, so I unwound the entire scant of yarn, and started over from the other end of the yearn, and the little square is that start of my hopefully better looking scarf :)
None of my scarves are done yet, they are all in the process, and Leon saw that I had bought more yarn and got worried that there would be 10 unfinished scarves all over our house, but I promised him there wouldn't be, so I better get busy! I don't know what I'm going to do with them all, I don't really wear scarves, but maybe I will start :) Crocheting is also a great way to pass the time when waiting for your computer to take 10 minutes to upload 4 pictures :)

2 comments:

  1. Those are GORGEOUS! I like the colors you picked! Those would make great gifts... just stash them away and give them for winter birthdays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good ideas :)I will have LOTS of gifts by next winter :)

    ReplyDelete