Monday, November 14, 2011

My dogs, old and new, and yet to come.....

Leon had bought me a blue heeler puppy named Duke, as a present for Christmas last year, and a few days ago he disappeared (I cried my self to sleep last night :( ...) He was my favorite dog, and he was just getting to that no more chewing on everything stage, he was getting to be good with cattle and listen very well. I am not sure what happened to him, either a nasty raccoon, or coyote got him, or maybe he got stolen, I dont know, but I miss him so much. He completed mine and Leon's new life in our little house, he was always there to greet me when I got home, and to scare away anything at night, he made me feel safe at home. I loved that dog so much!!!!!!!
This is probably one of my favorite pictures, it is Duke, Leon, and his nephew Jared. SOOOOO CUTE!!!! Duke was always around, and would hardly leave your side, such a faithful little companion, and he was great with children!! I had always dreamed of a few years down the road when Duke was older, and Leon and i had a child that would play with Duke....

Leon looked on Craigslist a couple days after Duke had disappeared, and he found a 9 month old puppy/dog that was half blue heeler and half Australian shepherd, with one blue eye!!!! (I love blue eyes on dogs!!) Leon  e-mailed the lady and she said he had tons of energy, and chewed (he sounds like how Duke was when we first got him) Since we are used to that, we decided to go see him and most likely buy him. The new dog's name is Brody, and he is pretty large for a 9 month old dog, he is bigger than Duke when Duke was a year and a half old! Brody lived in a small house with a small backyard, and 2 full time working owners, and they had a 3 year old son and another one on the way next month. They couldn't spend much time with the dog,  were moving, and needed to cut down on some expenses. So we bought Brody. He is REALLY soft and cute, with a lot of energy. What's really nice is that he came with a crate that he goes into with no fuss and will stay in there, so I can take him with me when I go places, since I dont have my pickup anymore :).
Meet Brody......




When we brought him home last night, we decided to keep him inside in his crate for the night, since this is a new place, and he isn't used to sleeping outside yet. We brought him in, and about 10 minutes of being inside, he piddled on the floor..... This was really discouraging to me :( and I think what made me cry myself to sleep last night, Duke NEVER went to the bathroom in the house, and we never even trained him not to, he just didnt, and here is this brand new dog that we were told was house trained, except for at night, that just piddled on our floor. I know he is new and needs attention and training, but I just really really wish he could be like Duke, now.....

Like I said before Brody has a lot of energy, but the two of us and the neighbors dog just got back from a brisk half hour walk and he is plum tuckered out sleeping at my feet! I think this dog just needed some room to run, and a playmate with as much energy as him, like Roxy, the neighbors dog :) I am hoping and praying that Brody will be as easy to train as Duke and become as well behaved as Duke, I just need to remember that he is still a puppy, and I have only had him for almost exactly 24 hrs.

On a brighter side of things, the guy who works at the warehouse just north of Leon's shop has a female half Lab half Australian shepherd dog, who Duke ummm.... made puppies with :) The puppies are due in about 2 weeks and the guy said he doesn't want the puppies, but he wants $150 to get his dog fixed. So Leon and him made a deal, Leon will get all the puppies for $150, the other guy's dog will get fixed, I will get the pick of the littler Duke contributed to, and the rest we will sell. This made me sooooo happy!!!!! I may have lost one of the best dogs I have had, but he left me with puppies to take care of!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about Duke. Your new dog looked adorable last night though.

    God bless,

    Neil

    ReplyDelete