Saturday, November 26, 2011

Cake FUN!

Leon's friend, and old roommate is moving away, and becoming an over the road trucker. He bought a truck and trailer, and he is gone beginning December. We had him and a few friends over before he left. I wanted to make it an extra special day for him, so I decided to make a fun cake with a picture of his truck on it, or try to :) Besides trucking, he likes, I mean LOVES the St. Louis Cardinals, who's colors are red and white, also his favorite big rig is Kenworth, who's colors are also red-burgindy-ish and white, so naturally, I made him a red and white cake!
 I put the cake batter onto a big cookie sheet, so that it will make a big thin cake, since I need 2 layers.
 This is a counter top sink cut out that I got from Leon's shop, I LOVE this thing! It is 20 inches by 20 inches, and it fits nicely in my kitchen :) It is just a piece of wood with laminate counter top on it. I use it to put really hot things, like cans on it, and I dont have to worry about making burn rings in it :)
 Here is the finished red layer, and I etched in, with a tooth pick, an outline of our friends truck, originally I was going to cut the cake out in the shape of the truck, but I changed my mind....
 Then I took some tin foil and covered my sink cut out board with it, then I put it over the top of my rad cake pan and flipped it over to put the cake on the board. I then realized that my etched drawing is now flat down on the foil, so DON'T etch the design on the top of the cake when you take it out of the oven :) I had gotten a really flimsy icing spreader, and I was unsure if it would really work on it, but it worked great!! The flimsy-ness made it so much easier to ice with than a regular knife!!
 I iced the top of the red layer to be like glue when I put the white layer on.
 Here is my white layer....ummmm...... I didn't have any good way to flip the white layer onto the red layer and this is what happened, I have no suggestions on how to do it better, sorry.... maybe have someone else to help you :)
 I think this is the reason for Icing a cake, you can cover up you half torn apart top layer, and it will still look pretty, no matter how bad the cake might actually look :)
 After I put the brown icing on, then I etched in the outline of his truck, again. I love this because if you mess up, just swipe a spatula over your goof up and try again!!! :)
Here is the finished product. At first the condensed can of cake icing came out really slow because it was cold, then it got warmed up from being in my hand and it started shooting out of the tip of the bottle (that is why there are squiggly fat lines under the windshield!) I should have put the can into the fridge because it was a lot easier to make the detail when the icing came out slower. Anyways, he loved it and that's all that matters!! I also had a lot of fun making it!!!!!

2 comments: