Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Canned Turkey Rice Soup.....A Winter MUST!!!

My sister and mother in law have been talking about making turkey and rice soup all summer, and we finally made it! :) I love having canned soup, not only is it healthier (with only 1 tsp salt/qt. ) but it is soooo handy!!!! This summer we made beef and vegetable soup, and I love being able to take a jar right off of my shelf, and into my pan, and instantly I have supper :) I was pretty excited when they told me about turkey and rice soup, because I like having the variety to have a beef or turkey soup (for those of my friends who don't like ground beef ;) ) The recipe came from my other sister-in-law, Carolyn.
Here is a preview of the finished product.
The recipe goes like this......

1/3 Cup brown rice, uncooked
3/4 Cup turkey or chicken
1/4 Cup chopped celery
1/4 Cup chopped onion
1/4 Cup chopped carrot
1 tsp salt
1 chicken bouillon cube

This is the recipe per qt, so multiply it by however many quarts you want to make.

I chopped up all of my veggies before I went to my sister in law's house, to save some time, I knew how much meat I had, so I just chopped up as many veggies I needed to for how many qts of meat I had.
My veggies.
Add the rice to the bottoms of your jars, then the meat, then the veggies.

Here is my rice in my jars.

 This is the left over turkey from my turkey pot pie.
 And this is some pork roast that I made the day before, that I brought for lunch, but I used it to put into my soup jars, because I ended up not having enough turkey, oooops...
 This is my little helper, Jared, my nephew, and Jodi my niece, they are both such great helpers!!! :) (Notice the jars Jared is stacking up behind him!!)


 After you have added all the rice, meat, and veggies, add the salt and bouillon cube, then fill the jar to just below the bottom ring on the lid, with water. Pressure cook at 10 lbs of pressure for 45 minutes, then you will have a very satisfying turkey, or pork, soup, that is perfect for when you are sick and don't want to cook supper! :)


4 comments:

  1. Would you believe last night I was sick and I thought "I really need to can some soup for times like this but where will I find a recipe?"
    Printing it off now...
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I have been making chicken chili, but I should can some soups for nights when I'm home too late to cook! Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete