Monday, November 7, 2011

Green Tomato Pie

So I do not like tomatoes, but I love ketchup, and pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, and salsa, but I do NOT like tomatoes. However my husband Lone or Bill (depends on who you are, I call him both :) ) was reading Country Side magazine, and they had an article about Green Tomato Pie, he was intrigued.....but I dont like tomatoes!! Well I decided it would be kinda fun to just say that I have made and tasted a green tomato pie :) A month or so passed, and Fall was arriving, and so was the frost, and I hadn't picked any green tomatoes yet, so I thought I had missed my opportunity, until Leon told me he doesn't think the frost got the tomatoes bad at all because they were not mushy, so we picked some a few days ago, and I Googled a recipe, here is the recipe I used http://southernfood.about.com/od/tomatoes/r/bl40625f.htm
So  Leon peeled and I slice the tomatoes, mixed up the spices and sugar, and started cooking them, then Leon took over while I made the pie crust. While it was cooking I just wanted to gobble it up, it smelled so yummmmmmmmmy!!! We made 2 pies.

We took the pies to Leon's sister's house for lunch after church, and we only told her what kind of pie it was, and the adults figured it out while it was being served, but the children didn't know! My niece who is 8 figured it out, but the younger children didn't know, and they liked it! Success!!!!

We took the other pie to our friends house after our evening church service, and my friend and I drove to her house, while our husbands practiced singing for the Christmas service. On our way back I asked my friends 3 year old son if he wanted to eat some tomato pie, and he said, "but I don like matoes", and his mom said, "well you can just have pie then" with a smile. The pie was liked by everyone, some said it was hard to wrap their head around the idea, but they liked it, and I will admit it was hard to wrap my tomato hating head around, but I loved it too!!!! So I'm not sure if I can really say I hate tomatoes anymore.....I don't like the red raw ones, I'll leave it at that :)

I encourage all of you, if anyone is reading this, to try to make green tomato pie, even if you dont like tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment