Saturday, February 18, 2012

Super easy "Fancy" bread!

So first, I want to give my friend Ruth all the credit for exposing me to this, and coaching me on how to do it! :)


The other day Ruth told me about this artisan bread that is really easy and very delicious! I'm not really the best at making breads. She told me that you just dump all the ingredients in a container, mix, let "rest" for 2 hrs, then set in your fridge for up to 2 weeks, and you can pull out a chunk and make it whenever! This amazing bread is from artisanbreadinfive.com . It takes seriously like 5 minutes to mix, no kneeding, and no punching it down!!!! In a 5 to 6 qt container add the following.... That's all!!!

1 1/2 T yeast
1 1/4 T kosher salt
3 C luke warm water
6 1/2 C all purpose flour



Seal like 3 corners of the lid, so there still is an opening. Let it sit out for 2 hrs, then you can either cut a chunk off to make a loaf, or put it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, and you can pull it out to make a loaf whenever you want! When you do get a chunk out, sprinkle the top of the dough that is in the bucket with some flour so the dough doesn't stick to your hand when you grab it.


 Get out some corn meal and sprinkle it onto what you are going to let it sit on before you cook it, something your not going to bake it on (I used my cutting board). The corn meal keeps it from sticking to the board, I guess you an also use parchment paper, but when you bake it you have to remove it like 15 minutes before the bread is done cooking. SO back to shaping your dough, shape it, then let it sit on the corn meal covered surface your not going to bake it on :) for at least 40 minutes. While it is "resting" pre heat your oven to 450 degrees, and immediately place what you are going to bake it on, into the oven, and a broiler pan on the shelf below it.

The people from "artisan bread in five" recommend to use a flat cast iron baking plate, or a pizza stone (if using a pizza stone place broiler pan on lowest rack, and place stone on rack like 2 racks higher (so you dont crack your stone when you put the water in)

I dont have either and Ruth had a brilliant idea of turning your cast iron pan upside down and using it that way :) What a great idea!!

After the oven is heated, slide the dough onto the pan, then add 1 cup hot water to the broiler pan and close the oven door!! I think the steam helps make the crust. I made a small loaf because I wanted to just try it quick, and it was only Leon and I, so I baked it for only 20 minutes, but a full loaf will take 30-40 minutes.



This was the most easy and delicious bread!!! (for a gourmet bread) I like my good ol' sandwich type homemade bread, but Leon and I love to dip bread in oil and balsamic vinegar, and this bread is PERFECT for it!!!! YUMMMMMMMERS!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Your pictures aren't showing up...might want to fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! That looks GOOD! I want some! :) I love it that you can let it sit in the fridge and bake some whenever you want it fresh!

    ReplyDelete